For Immediate Release
Seattle Office of Labor Standards Announces Final Administrative Rules for App-Based Worker Minimum Payment Ordinance
Seattle, WA – (November 28, 2023) The Office of Labor Standards (OLS) announces final administrative rules for the App-Based Worker Minimum Payment (ABWMP) Ordinance, Seattle Municipal Code (SMC) 8.37, and a rule that amends Chapter 140 Practice and Procedures for Labor Standards Enforcement. The ABWMP Ordinance is effective on January 13, 2024.
In September 2023, OLS released proposed administrative rules for the App-Based Worker Minimum Payment Ordinance (SMC 8.37). Following two rounds of public comment, the final rules clarify the details of several requirements created by the ordinance.
This ordinance requires covered network companies to:
- Provide app-based workers with minimum payment for time spent and miles driven while completing work
- Provide certain information about an offer of work before and after the worker accepts it
It also provides app-based workers with rights to flexibility, including to:
- Access a network company’s platform without limitation (except for health and safety limitations)
- Not be penalized for limiting availability or refusing offers of work
- Cancel acceptance of an offer of work with cause
Both the new rules chapter for the ABWMP Ordinance and the amendment to Chapter 140 can be viewed on the OLS website by clicking here: ABWMP Ordinance webpage. To learn more about Seattle’s labor standards please click here or contact the Office of Labor Standards at 206-256-5297.
- Help for workers and the public: to ask a question, file a complaint, or provide information, call 206-256-5297, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or click here to fill out a worker inquiry web form.
- Help for employers: for free and private assistance for compliance with Seattle’s labor standards, call 206-256-5297, email email@example.com or click here to fill out an employer inquiry web form.