For Immediate Release
Seattle Office of Labor Standards Invites Public Comment on Proposed Rules for App-Based Worker Minimum Payment Ordinance
Seattle, WA – (September 13, 2023) The Office of Labor Standards (OLS) invites public comment on two sets of proposed rules:
- OLS invites comment on proposed rules for the App-Based Worker Minimum Payment Ordinance.
This ordinance requires covered network companies to:
- Provide app-based workers with minimum payment for time spent and miles driven while completing work
- Provide certain information about an offer of work before and after the worker accepts it
It also provides app-based workers with the right to:
- Flexibility, including the right to access a network company’s platform without limitation (except for health and safety limitations)
- Not be penalized for limiting availability or refusing offers of work
- Cancel acceptance of an offer of work with cause
The proposed rules clarify the details of several requirements created by the ordinance.
- OLS invites public comment on a proposed rule that would amend Chapter 140 Practice and Procedures for Labor Standards Enforcement. The App-Based Worker Minimum Payment Ordinance gives the agency the authority to respond to alleged violations of the law through a complaint procedure in which an app-based worker’s complaint is provided to a network company for response. The proposed rule would incorporate the complaint procedure in the ordinance into the agency’s procedural rules for enforcement and establish response deadlines.
Both the proposed rules chapter for the App-Based Worker Minimum Payment Ordinance and the amendments to Chapter 140 can be viewed on the OLS website by clicking here.
Members of the public are invited to comment on the proposed rules in writing. Written comments must be received no later than 5:00 PM PST on September 27, 2023.
Comments may be mailed, or delivered to: Seattle Office of Labor Standards, ATTN: Shuxuan Zhou, Policy Analyst, 810 Third Ave, Suite 375, Seattle, WA, 98104 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Comments: App-Based Worker Minimum Payment Ordinance Proposed Rules.”